Join us for free monthly trainings, with topics covering all aspects of accounting for the nonprofit industry.
Keep up with the latest on financial reporting, regulation changes, tax updates and more with our quarterly newsletter.
Pro-bono services are awarded annually to nonprofits for various accounting services such as startup assistance and tax filing.
Center of Influence
Share ideas and create opportunities in our downtown Boise space, featuring a training room and boardroom available to you to use.
Nonprofit organizations and government agencies deliver the services that make Idaho communities healthier, more educated and inspired, and even more economically sound. No matter your mission, Harris recognizes that your values deeply influence your business operations and that you face unique fiscal and regulatory constraints. We work with hundreds of nonprofits and agencies, delivering services that help them make a lasting impact in Idaho and beyond.
Harris actively engages with your management and financial teams year-round—not just at tax or audit time. We want you to feel comfortable asking us questions as issues arise, and a consistent relationship allows us to pinpoint areas for improvement and increased efficiencies.
Harris enjoys working with nonprofit organizations for so many reasons. There’s the obvious, of course—we’re proud to support causes that benefit Idaho—but we also love problem solving. We help you meet the demands of fiscal compliance, transparency, and budgeting so you can focus on what you do best—giving back.
Our financial and accounting services for nonprofits include:
- Audits, reviews, and compilations under generally accepted and governmental auditing standards
- Single Audits under the Uniform Guidance
- Form 990/990-EZ/990-N / 990-T preparation
- Tax planning, preparation, and consulting
- Application for 501(c)3 status (Form 1023)
- Budget preparation, analysis, and training
- Strategic planning and organizational development
- Assistance with and review of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- Development of accounting and compliance procedures
- Program, contract, and financial compliance reviews and reporting to federal, state, and city funding sources
- Compliance reviews of fundraising reporting and allocation procedures
- Preparation of exemption applications and change in status requests
- Cost allocation plans
- Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) Compliance
- Board training
- Implementation of new accounting standards
- Bookkeeping, payroll and preparation of W-2s and 1099s
Our client sectors include community assistance programs, government entities, schools, professional societies, advocacy groups, national and local charities, research organizations, foundations, unions, religious organizations, housing, healthcare, private clubs, professional trade associations and social service organizations.
Harris’ dedicated team of government-focused CPAs brings expertise based on years of agency partnerships. We provide financial and compliance audit services and a full range of reporting and advisory assistance to various community and development associations, councils, cities, water districts, urban renewal agencies, housing, health care, highway and library districts.
Our financial services for government agencies include:
- Single audit, Yellow Book, redevelopment agency, and municipal audits
- Compliance with federal and state reporting requirements
- Internal controls review and enhancement
- Fraud detection and prevention
- Bookkeeping services
- Development of policies and procedures
- Board trainings
Commitment to the nonprofit and governmental industry
Harris is a member of the following associations, which help CPAs perform quality nonprofit and government audits and recognize firms with high professional standards. We utilize the resources of each association to access best practices guidance, technical updates, and regulatory developments.
Recent Blog Posts
Top 10 Trends in the Nonprofit IndustryAugust 28, 2019
New and Improved Amortizing of Goodwill for NonprofitsJuly 24, 2019
Deadline Approaches for Remedial Amendments for 403(b) PlansJuly 3, 2019
Lessons Learned from Implementing ASU 2016-14 – Functional ExpensesJune 21, 2019
What Our Clients Are Saying
Keri Davidson, VP, Membership & Development
Idaho Nonprofit Center