A Message to Our Clients
(Updated March 25, 2020)
In order to comply with the Governor’s recent Stay at Home Order for the State of Idaho, Harris CPA’s will be closing all offices in Meridian, Boise, and Coeur d’Alene effective March 26, 2020 for at least the next 21 days. Our employees will continue working remotely. This is not new to us; Harris CPAs has embraced remote and flexible schedules for years. We would also like to assure you that our clients’ information will remain secure, even when we are working remotely.
Your accountant is available to answer any questions you might have during normal business hours via email. All phone calls will be routed to voicemail, which is then delivered to the individual’s email.
TAX DEADLINE EXTENSIONS
Federal - Per the IRS, the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. Taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax. Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this automatic federal tax filing and payment relief. Taxpayers who need additional time to file beyond the July 15 deadline, will still be allowed to file an extension.
Idaho - Governor Little has just announced that Idaho will defer the filing deadline from April 15, 2020 to June 15, 2020. This includes any payments that would have been due on April 15, 2020 which may now be deferred until June 15, 2020. Normally taxpayers who need an additional amount of time to file their Idaho return are able to receive an automatic extension of time to file their Idaho return up to October 15th, 2020 by paying at least 100% of their prior years taxes or 80% of their current years estimated taxes by April 15th. We have not received guidance from the Idaho State Tax Commission however we anticipate these same rules will apply on June 15th for those needing to extend beyond the June 15th due date to file. We will continue to monitor the situation, and as we get closer to that date we will let our you know how we will handle the situation.
TAX RETURN PROCESS
Although the federal and state tax deadlines have been extended, we will continue to work on our clients’ tax projects, in order to minimize a bottle-neck effect with other projects. If you have not yet submitted your tax documents to us, please do so via one of the methods below. Please understand that the circumstances we are all faced with may cause slight delays in our turnaround times, and we appreciate your patience.
To send us your documents, you can:
- Use the “Send Us a File” button at the top of our website to electronically send your information directly to your accountant.
- Mail your documents to our office. We will be checking our mail periodically, and will get it scanned into our normal process, so your accountant will have access to it.
- Meridian office only - As a last resort, you may also drop your documents in the slot at the front door. Please keep in mind, this will not be checked daily. Once retrieved, we will start it through our normal process.
All tax returns will be sent electronically for signature via SafeSend Returns. This is accessible across all platforms: computer, smartphone or tablet. We will not be preparing any paper copies at this time. Your original documents will either be mailed to you or will be available for pickup once our office reopens.
On behalf of all of us at Harris CPAs, thank you for your understanding and support during this challenging time. We wish you, your families and your teams much good health.
If you have any questions or further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (208) 333-8965.
Cheryl Guiddy, CPA
Recent Blog Updates
While it’s still difficult to predict the full extent of the impact of COVID-19, Harris CPas is closely monitoring this rapidly evolving situation, offering guidance to help you through this time of uncertainty. We will continue to post updates below that are pertinent to our clients:
- An Overview of SBA Loan Options – Paycheck Protection Program & Economic Injury Disaster Loans (March 31, 2020)
- OMB Guidance Provides Relief to Federal Award Recipients Amid COVID-19 (March 29, 2020)
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act Provides Relief to Taxpayers (March 29, 2020)
- IRS Outlines Procedures For Payroll Tax Credits and Rapid Refunds For Employers Making Federally-Mandated COVID-19 Leave Payments (March 26, 2020)
- IRS Extends Federal Deadline to July 15th, Idaho extended to June 15th (March 23, 2020)
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act Helps Individuals Affected By COVID-19 (March 19)
Speak with one of our experts.